With the objective of providing more sheltered workshop accommodation in Perth to supplement the Wooroloo facilities, the Tuberculosis Association of Western Australia acquired the old Federal Cardboard Box Company factory in 1950 in Wellington Street. During this period the association gradually built up their expertise of helping patients in their rehabilitation. Patients would make boxes and would also cover florist, hat, and dress shop boxes in paper using a machine with two rollers (similar to a mangle on an old washing machine), which would run glue over the paper.
In 1951 the Wooroloo sheltered workshop operations were reopened as Linley Valley as reported in the West Australian. Linley Valley was funded throughout the 1950s by sales of tin products and orchard produce, as well as rental income and fundraising activities. However it was to struggle financially to generate sufficient income to cover its overheads partly due to the declining market for tin.
In 1953 the Women’s Auxiliary of the Tuberculosis Association was formed for the purpose of raising funds to assist in providing amenities for tuberculosis patients at Wooroloo Sanatorium and the rehabilitation of patients attending the Perth Chest Clinic. This dedicated group provided fantastic support over many decades to come and funds raised were used to buy many items of necessary equipment and provide financial support for families in need.
In 1957 the Railway Department repossessed the old Federal Cardboard Box factory for redevelopment. The Tuberculosis Association was able to purchase a disused bakery in Stone Street in West Perth and develop it into a bigger and more efficient factory than the previous premises. Printing was added as another service and by 1958 full production was achieved and substantial progress was made in improving the appearance and factory facilities. Typically around 30 ex-patients would pass through the factory during a year, with the ex-patients being under the care of the medical liaison office from Perth Chest Clinic. In some cases the ex-patients would return to their previous line of work while sometimes they would go on to find new types of employment.
In 1958 the Perth Chest Hospital was finally opened. The Tuberculosis Association Women’s Auxiliary took on the responsibility of the Perth Chest Hospital Women’s Auxiliary and operated the hospital canteen and library services.
In 1958 the Tuberculosis Association was honoured by a visit from the Patron, His Excellency the Governor Sir Charles Gairdner, who inspected both the Linley Valley Colony and the Federal Cardboard Box Factory.
By the end of the decade significant success was being achieved in WA in the fight against tuberculosis, with the yearly notification rate over the last 10 years being cut by half from 105 to 44 per 100,000 of the WA population, and the death rate cut from 22 to 3 per 100,000.